The village of Sérignan-du-Comtat can boast long interesting history. The municipality is made on a rock emerging from the water, becoming the starting point for the history of Sérignan. The presence of man in the commune of Sérignan of Comtat is ancient. Thanks to the discoveries that were made there (scraper, flint knives and various object), a prehistoric occupation has been proven right. It was around the sixth century BC, that the Phoenicians and the Greeks settled in the region.
The Roman occupation, which lasted nearly five centuries, has been marked by a series of major projects, important for the future of the village (Northeast). Numerous vaulted cellars, dating from this period, were found in the old village, in particular «the castle».
Only after the fall of the Roman Empire, that William first, one of the Princes of Orange, built a castle around which people came together and built walls. Thus, in the thirteenth century, Sérignan du Comtat was born.
The village was originally a seigneury of the Counts of Toulouse (Comtes de Toulouse), to become in the Middle Ages the chief place of an important barony. One of the major holders was Diane de Poitiers. Indeed, Diane de Poitiers, the favorite of François 1st, stayed at the end of her life in 1565 at Sérignan, in her father's castle (cours Joël Estève).
This barony suffered a lot during the religious wars in 1563 and lasted until the French Revolution.
The village was part of the district of Avignon during the unionizing of the Comtat to France in 1791, of the department of Bouches du Rhône in 1792, and of the department of Vaucluse in 1793.
Sérignan du Comtat had a number of “famous children“. The best known of them is the great entomologist, Jean-Henri FABRE. Although he was not native of the village, it was in Sérignan, where he spent the most fruitful period of his life. He had moved permanently there since 1879, into his house known as «Harmas».
From the eighteenth century, the major facilities were built in the commune as follows:
The City Hall (La Mairie), the Saint Etienne Church (l'église St Etienne), the Mill Street Hospital (l'hôpital rue du Moulin), Silk Factory (l’Usine de Soie, route de Ste Cécile-Les-Vignes) and two schools.
Eventually the village continued to expand. New extensions are visible especially in the east of the village on the road to Ste Cécile-Les-vignes and more recent in the South.
Many buildings have been preserved in Sérignan-du-Comtat