The first mention of Abriès dates from the XI-XII centuries. In the ancient «Charter of benefits» from 1259 pointed out that in that time the village was occupied about 350 residents who were under the protection of the Dauphin of Guigues, and were engaged in trade in the local market. At that time already in Abriès food stalls were opened, big deals were made; the village was quite dynamic and prosperous. Almost all residents have received primary education in schools. Reagents taught them to read and write, math basics. But then the armed conflict began, and after 1562 religious wars between Protestants and Catholics occurred. Farms around Abriès were partially burned and looted, cattle stolen, residents killed.
In the Middle Ages Abriès faced with many disasters - droughts, floods, epidemics, because of which people of Abriès began to significantly decline. But the most serious damage was caused by man. In 1690 the village was burned by the Huguenots and Savoyards. From the XVI century in the village it was built a Catholic parish. About Abriès it was talking only of the XVIII century, when it became the seat of an independent parish. Abriès suffered during the Second World War: it was originally occupied by the Italians and then the Germans burned 400 houses in the village. Today the list of names of dead French soldiers can be seen on a military memorial cemetery next to the church. After the war Abriès was restored from scratch by Government.
Although the village of Abriès is small, but there are many colorful historical monuments there. For example, on a hillside above the village you can see pretty little white stone parish church Le Chemin de Croix menant à Notre Dame des Sept Douleurs, towards which installed with 18 white chapel niches.
In the village there is another church. This is Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul and Saint Anthony Church (Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul-et-Saint-Antoine). The church was built in the XII century and restored after the religious wars in the XVI century. Bell tower was erected in 1620. At the entrance to the church there are two carved stone lion. Inside the church you can see many works of art: monumental altar of the XVII century with decorative columns and wood carvings, which depicts the Apostles St. Peter and Paul, crucifix, about 20 paintings XVII-XIX centuries, many plaster statues covered with gold leaf. Near the church there are many religious buildings: the chapel of penitents, bench of vicar, Presbytery, converted to the local library and a museum of costume.
Travelers who go to walk through the village, on the way can meet a lot of written stones. Some of them are established in honor of the famous people who once lived in Abriès, others talk about the remarkable events of the village. For example, there is a stone on which the recordings were made of the great flood of years 1759-1768, during which many people were killed.
One of the most important monuments of the village is Les Halles building, which dates back to 1609 year. This place, like in those days, was considered a major center of trade. In 1958 the building was completely reconstructed. Today, in its walls there is the town hall, post office and tourist office.
Architectural feature of the village of Abriès is large domestic economies, which were reconstructed in the middle of the last century. Among them - Queyras house (la maison Queyras) with huge barns, kitchen and bathroom on the first floor.
In Abriès as throughout Queyras, many houses are decorated with ancient or modern sundials associated with the passage of time, the sun and death. One of them can be seen at the village church – it is very unusual, bright yellow sundial of XIX century.
In winter Abriès can offer tourist vacation at a small ski resort. It was built in 1945, but during the war the resort was defeated. In 50's of last century ski resort reanimated. Family resort is located at an altitude of 1500 meters and includes not only skiing and snowboarding, but also snowshoe walking, skating and dog sledding. The resort has one chairlift and four rope tow; the total length of trails - 33 km; there are 4 blue, 1 green, 6 red and 2 black slopes for skiing. Every Friday in the ski resort of Abriès farmer market opened.
Outstanding people of Abriès:
Famille Berthelot - the famous family, who from the XVII to the end of the XVIII century held in the village notary; some family members were squires in Queyras, the Cadets during the revolution, Vicar of d'Embrun Bishop.
Blaise Richard Calve - merchant, the owner of the sheep farm, a lawyer. In 1790 he was elected as a President of the Departmental Assembly of Upper Alps, perfect and President of the General Council.
Chaffrey Martin (1813-1872) – a Professor of Philosophy and chaplain in the Gap college, religious writer, the author of the teaching method of preaching. In 1857 he founded the «Journal of popular and contemporary preaching»
(1907-2003) – Abriès historian and dean
Famille Toy-Riont - members of the family were businesmen and entrepreneurs. One member of the family was a chairman of the County Council of the Upper Alps during World War II.
Interesting events in Abriès:
- Festival «Chez Pilou Caravaneige» – the end of March
- The Feast day of St. Peter (Fête de la Saint Pierre) - July 3
- Holiday of flowers and plants (Fête de la Fleur et du monde végétal) - July 14
- Farms Festival (Fêtes des hameaux organisées par Queyras Passion) – the end of July
- Music Festival «Musi’queyras» – the end of July
- Market of wool and silk (Marché de la Laine et de la soie) - August 3
- Holiday of Bread (Fête du Pain) – August 20
- Dogs show «Fête du chien et l'homme» - mid-September