From 500, the great invasions begun: the Lombards, Burgundians, and especially up to 700, the Saracens who occupied the country.
For some time Saint-Léger
belonged to the Count de Faudon (provost, or the representative of the Comte de Provence). At that time the village was called «Le Serre» (a small hill) on top of which a fortified castle was built.
In 980, Saint Majolus, the abbot of Cluny (a very important church servant at that time) was halted at this place by the Saracens. It was the beginning of «the Alps conquest» by the Counts of Provence for the liberation of the region from Arab gangs.
It was at that time the construction of the castles began: the local rulers established the feudal regime, the population calmed down, the rebuilding of villages was started. When peace was restored the monks began to preach the Gospel in the country. The monks of St-André de Gap founded the Priory and the church in Saint-Léger (presumably in honour of the former Bishop of Autun whom the monks from Gap, the followers of the abbot of Cluny, revered).
For two centuries the village developed under the full patronage of its rulers. In 1250, Count Faudon’s territory falls under the authority of the Dauphin and gets more freedom: the right to elect consuls (municipal delegates), the right to a fee for baking bread (have ordinary or common oven), the right to grazing, the right to watering (it was in 1250, when Ancelle canal was excavated in Saint-Léger).
Gradually, the people with the support of the Dauphin were exempted from the ruler (Count Faudon). The region's population began to grow, agriculture developed – its main branch was sheep breeding.
In 1335, according to the population census, 77 families which averaged to 6 people per family lived in Saint-Léger
, and a total number was about 500 people. But then famine and epidemics reduced the population by more than half.
In 1921, the old village of Saint-Léger
was destroyed by fire, only the castle, the church, presbytery and a few houses survived.
The ski resort was created in Saint-Léger in 1966 (under the decision of the renewed City Council and the Mayor, Jean Ariey). The first 3 lifts run since the winter of 1967-1968.